Dates & Deadlines
March 3, 2017
March 31, 2017
May 1, 2017
May 15, 2017
May 26, 2017
June 2, 2017
June 23 – 24, 2017
Rules & Terms
Films selected for the Threadbare Mitten Film Festival must provide exhibition copies to the festival coordinators at least 1 week prior to the festival dates.
Films selected for Regular screening at the Windwalker Underground Gallery or the Drive-In screening must provide a digital screener in standard .mp4 format or equivalent. Please mail a flashdrive or SD card containing the file to our submission address.
Films selected for the Opening Night Premier at the Eaton Theatre must provide a physical Blu-Ray or DVD disc compatible with standard disc players to the submission address. Upon notification of selection, we will inform you if your film has been selected for screening at the Eaton Theatre. If you are unable to provide a playable disc, please notify us immediately. Your film will still screen as a digital copy at another venue, and an alternate film will be selected for the Eaton Theatre. It is your responsibility to confirm proper disc playback.
While we will not impose content restrictions for submitted films, please consider the following:
1. We are not interested in purely pornographic material, nor any actual acts of real life violence.
2. The Drive-In screening will be in a public space, so the films selected for this single screening will conform to roughly PG-13 content standards.
1. The Threadbare Mitten Film Festival (the FESTIVAL) will only accept original works. (no fan-films)
a) By submitting your film to the FESTIVAL, you assert that you are authorized to submit the film, and that you own (or have legal permission to use) the copyright to all submitted materials, including the soundtrack and on-screen imagery. The FESTIVAL assumes no liability for any potential claims, damages, judgments, and expenses against any submitted film.
b) By submitting your film, you grant permission to the FESTIVAL to publicly exhibit the film during the festival dates, and to share imagery, copy, and audio/visual clips from the film for promotional purposes, including the promotion of future events.
2. Electronic submissions are preferred. We encourage you to provide any available electronic promotional/publicity materials at the time of submission. Upon notification of selection by the FESTIVAL, the submitter of Short and Feature category films must provide at minimum a film trailer, poster, and synopsis.
3. For physical copy submissions, please email email@example.com prior to submission. Physical submissions will not be returned.
4. All submissions must be in English or contain English subtitles.
5. Judging is anonymous and arbitrary. FESTIVAL judge decisions are final.
6. We do not require any particular Premiere status for General screenings, though we aim to offer Michigan Premieres for our opening night at the Eaton Theatre. Premiere status will be considered as one part of the overall submission for all screenings.
7. Filmmakers whose work is selected will receive 2 VIP passes to the FESTIVAL.
Awards & Prizes
Laurels and locally-crafted Trophies for each of 9 Award Categories:
Juried Category Awards:
Best Short Short
Best Short Film
Best Feature Film
Juried Special Recognition Awards:
A+ Student Filmmaker
Bloody and Brilliant
and a [Mystery Award] to be announced at the award ceremony